Friday 31 October 2008

What a struggle!

OMG, what can I say? I started this next task looking at the competencies for my job role thinking what a walk in the park this would be. WRONG! My job description had soooo much information on it and it was very difficult to figure out exactly what were the competencies and what were just requirements.

I then had to research using the university library for a work related article. It seems the search engine understood the words cover and supervisor, but not the two together. I looked into education, competencies, teaching assistants and so on. I found nothing. Days and days and days of searching to get nothing. Talk about deflated. I began searching the internet for absolutley anything to do with cover supervisors. The most interesting thing I found was the national remodelling guidance on Cover Supervisors. Everything else was a direct copy of this. I was however able to find many many job descriptions for the role for schools across the country. My role is a new one, however it has been about since 2004, that's four years. You would have thought that by now there would have been more information on it. I contacted a researcher from cohort 6 whose resume showed also worked with cover. She emailed me back saying that because of the lack of information on the role, she decided not to use it for her degree.

Finally last night I found a site called coversupervisors.co.uk, I thought great, finally, I should be able to locate something on here. Again, WRONG! The only information it listed was the very same information that I had already come across, or lack of it. This has caused major problems because I have had to show in my essay that I have researched this. How can I show a week of constant research with no references?

So, end result, I feel incredibly deflated that, not only could I not find any information relating to my role, but it appears that my role is insignificant enough to produce nothing. And here I was thinking I was doing something worthwhile. Frustrated, demotivated and just plain peeved is how I am feeling right now.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Hello, I hope that you have had some luck with the research. I think that this may help you
http://www.tda.gov.uk/Search.aspx?action=search&keywords=job+description+for+a+cover+supervisor

Its from the TDA site.

Phil