Sunday 5 October 2008

05 October 08

Well I am suffering nicely with the flu at the moment, and I am bored stiff, feeling very sorry for myself too, So every now and then I try to attempt a little bit of something for my degree. I have spent alot of time on my colleges web site investigating whose who and, Wow!!!!! what an eye opener. I have a much better understanding of the organisation now, wnd who can help me when my line manager cannot. Wish I had done this when I first started. Researching it definately gave me a beeter understanding of it than if I had simply been given it all laid out on a sheet.

I think I have completed my working life picture display. I used a powerpoint presentation for it so that I could add some information. My job role is difficult to show in picture format because no 2 days are the same. I do not cover any one thing alone, and I do not have any other responsibiliteis. Makes my job sound quite boring which it isn't, but I have no ownership of anything. I dont even have a tutor group anymore. Also with the legal implications of photographing students, it was really difficult to complete.

I have also spent time talking to other students and where I can helping them to understand what they have to do. This in itself is making for some great relationships and one in particular, Marianne. She was ready to give up. Now she has completed her first task and is feeling fantastic, and I feel really pleased that I was able to help her. That in itself makes us feel more like a cohort and not individuals. We have now decided that in future we will discus the modules between us to help us to understand the requirements.

Have also been redaing Tindals undergraduates research thingy. Its really interesting. Seems to suport alot of what I have felt for many years now, that being that teaching skills to someone is one thing, but if they are not taught, or as in our case are not encouraged to research the subject more, how can they truley have a good understanding of the why's and where fores behind the skill? Simple they cant, and so in turn, they have not truy learned hte skill and cannot therefore develop it. Good reading. Stronly recommend it to all.

All in all so far everything is going well. Fingers crossed that my facilitator thinks the same.

Till next time.............

No comments: